It’s a brand new month! That means it’s time to grab your Self-Care Planner and start filling out your goals and self-care plans for June.
I never much liked summer until I started managing my depression and practicing self-care. It made me actually want to go outside. I remember it clearly, even though it was eight years ago. That summer was the best because I decided that I was going to do things that made me happy. I went to the park for picnics and shared my cotton candy with strangers, I flew a kite all by myself, I climbed a tree for the first time in my life, I went to my first yoga class, I took long walks in the early morning when you could still see the moon on the horizon.
That was the first summer I truly enjoyed myself and it was because I filled it with so many new things. It was all about focusing on all of those little acts of self-care and pleasure instead of just muddling through the day.
I have a Summer Self-Care Challenge for you.
You can also get this in PDF form by signing up for my newsletter!
Enjoy this month of summer. Even though the heat can sometimes be miserable – find a way to get outside and enjoy the warmth and the sunlight. Sprinkle your day with the things that you need, or want, or that make you smile. Here are some ways to practice self-care this month.
Social Self-Care: Summer is a great time to go out and do things. If you’re feeling social – plan trips to the zoo or waterparks or BBQs with all of your friends. On the opposite side of it – maybe what you really need is a break and some rest and some one-on-one time with your favorite person. What are you feeling like right now?
Body Self-Care: Summer can make you feel insecure about your body. Fight against those feelings. Show your arms. Wear that two-piece or short shorts. Wear the things that make you feel good about yourself and your body and work through those feelings of discomfort. It takes practice but you can do it. And I know you’ve heard this a million times but stay hydrated and protect yourself from the sun!
Life Self-Care: Lazy summer days are my favorite things. What’s your favorite thing? Do that thing. Treat yourself to ice cream every Saturday or go on a long hike where you sweat out all of the things that are bothering you.
Love your life this month.
Spirit Self-Care: I’ve been taking early morning walks while listening to the Anne of Green Gables series on audiobook. It’s bliss I tell you. It may not be the traditional type of spiritual but it makes me feel so light and warm and happy. What’s making your spirit sing this month?
You Self-Care: Remember to love yourself. Fiercely. Treat yourself like you matter. Treat yourself like you are important. Remember, you are sunlight.
I’ve included a little calendar of fun activities for you to try.
If you do try them I’d love for you to take pictures and share on social media with the hashtag #summerselfcare
- Make a list of goals for the summer. Pull out your Self-Care Planner and really do the work, focus on manifesting those things into being.
- Sit in the early morning and sun and meditate. When I say it’s a healing experience, I mean it. Carving out that space, when the world is still mostly quiet and just awakening, is such powerful magic.
- Make lemon water or lemonade. It’s not only good to stay hydrated, but it’s delicious. If you’re not a big fan of lemons, try other fruit infusions.
- Go on a hike or a nature walk. Even if it’s just down the street or around your backyard. It’s a great way to relieve stress and enjoy the summer sun. (Early mornings are best!) I’m absolutely loving The No Sleep Podcast. Is my self-care taking a morning walk while listening to terrifying tales of horror? Why yes, yes it is!
Enjoy the pool, sprinklers, waterpark, or nearest body of water. You’re not too old for a quick spray down in the front yard! Get yourself into some nice, cold, water.
- Waterguns, bubbles, kites… get in touch with your inner child. Do something fun and silly. Have a water balloon fight with the kids. Get out of the house!
- Picnic or eat lunch outside. Have your morning coffee by an open window. Bonus points if you can keep off of your phone.
Enjoy just a few minutes of mindfulness in nature and mindful eating.
- Unplug from technology. Harken back to when you were a kid and cellphones and computers didn’t exist and you had to be home by the time the streetlights came on. Re-discover that magical time.
- ALL the water. Challenge yourself to the eight cups a day, and if that’s something you’ve already got a handle on, challenge someone else to do it with you!
- Make a fruit salad. Eat berries and fresh cream or slice up some fresh fruit in your yogurt. If you can go actual berry picking, do it!
- Relax to the sound of nature. When night falls and it cools down, crack a window and actually enjoy the sounds around you. Pay attention. Revel in it.
- Go out for ice cream. Get nostalgic and go to the place or get the flavor that you always enjoyed as a kid.
- Dress up in something that makes you feel cute, whatever it is. Get all dressed up, or treat yourself to new workout clothes. Braid your hair or wear a flower crown.
Whatever makes you feel good – do it.
- Make a summer music playlist. I have so many good summer memories attached to songs. Make a playlist and then listen to it on a road trip or on your walk or on your commute to work.
- Make your own popsicles, they’re super easy to make and they’re fun!
- Eat a watermelon, the quintessential fruit of summer. If that’s not something you like go the veggie route with roasted corn.
- Take a mid-day nap. I love naps. Windows open or curtains pulled to the side so you get just that bit of warm sunlight. Channel your inner cat.
- Visit a Farmer’s Market. They are so fun and the taste of those fresh fruits and veggies is so worth it.
- Make s’mores, roast marshmallows, or grill hot dogs over a fire.
- Try water-gun painting.
- Take a ton of pictures. Pictures of yourself looking super cute, pictures of the nature that’s blooming around you, take snapshots of the things you love in your life.
- Watch the sunrise. It’s a beautiful new beginning each day. Listen to the birds as they awaken, let yourself be awash in the morning glow.
- Go on a road trip to somewhere you’ve always wanted to visit or just take a drive to enjoy the windows down and the wind in your hair.
- Do a yoga routine in the sunshine.
Make the choice to walk away from something that’s making you unhappy.
Something big, something little, walk away, and focus on you.
- Use sidewalk chalk to write inspirational messages in your driveway or decorate the sidewalks of a local park with inspiring messages.
- Read a good book. What’s the latest summer read that everyone is talking about?
- Spend all day laughing. Deep belly laughs with your favorite people.
- Write something beautiful. A short story, a love poem, an encouraging note to someone you love.
- Go star-gazing, count the stars, find constellations, ponder the mysteries of the Universe.
How are you practicing Summer Self-Care?
Don't forget to check me out on Patreon for Q&As, Submit Your Ideas, Exclusive Discounts, Worksheets, and Images.
What a timely post for me! I’ve made a crazy (for me) decision, and doing something I’ve never done. I’m taking the entire month of July as hiatus, and writing on my novel. Yikes! But is it ever time . . .
Excited and scared at the same time! Lol
I love your self-care calendar and I will print it out and take some inspiration when I need it. This is wonderful, thank you. And I really appreciate your sharing your personal story and enjoyed your description of that first good summer 8 years ago! Sweet memories, aren;t they, when we tae our happiness in our own hands?!
Yes they are! Thank you Reba!
YES! I love this challenge to put ourselves first this summer. Sharing and can’t wait to give it a try myself.
Thank you Nadalie!
I love this. ? great post
This is great! Wish I could download the calendar.. awesome!
I’m glad you like it!
Love this the calendar rocks and challenges are great for getting back on track xxx
I accept your challenge! What a marvelous idea!!
Doooo it! Thanks love!
Early morning walks are such a nice idea, and you can combine them with some ice cream. :D
I LOVE this…I am going to take this challenge!!!
What you are doing is so great! Loved this idea! Summer is long gone here in India but I would so love to take this challenge next month!